Are You Protected from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon Monoxide Can Cause DeathCarbon monoxide gas occurs in combustion fumes, such as those generated in natural gas furnaces. When a person breathes in carbon monoxide, the body’s red blood cells absorb the substance faster than they take in oxygen. Lack of oxygen in the blood causes tissue damage that can result in serious health consequences and even death. Metro Express Service urges homeowners to follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and have their gas furnace checked for carbon monoxide leaks each year.

Odorless, Tasteless, and Colorless

In the United States, hundreds of people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to CDC studies, and thousands more are hospitalized. The fact that you can’t see it, smell it, or taste it is what makes carbon monoxide so dangerous. Low-level exposure to carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms that people aren’t likely to associate with poisoning. Serious damage to health and even death can occur long before people are aware that the gas is present.

Regular Maintenance Helps Keep Your Family Safe

Furnaces are engineered to direct byproducts created during the combustion process like carbon monoxide safely outside of your Arlington home. Without regular maintenance, however, the corrosive nature of combustion byproducts can cause dangerous leaks in furnace parts and equipment. That’s why at Metro Express Service, we include a carbon monoxide inspection in all of our preventative maintenance programs.

Back Draft Dangers

Obstructions in the system can result in dangerous back drafts of fumes as well. In homes that use chimneys as furnace ventilation, the chimneys should be checked or cleaned in year. Improper heater repair and installation can also present carbon monoxide poisoning dangers. To vent harmful combustion byproducts safely, vent pipes should never be level but should gradually incline to help prevent carbon monoxide if leaks occur.

Check Your Home

As a leading Arlington heating company, Metro Express Service takes the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning seriously. We’re proud that our preventative maintenance programs exceed the highest standards set by the HVAC industry. For regular inspections and tune-ups that you can count on to protect your family from exposure to deadly carbon monoxide, call us today at 817-516-0700 to schedule service.


Randy Murphy

Randy Murphy has been building his knowledge of the air conditioning and heating business for several years now. He first started applying his knowledge while working for his father’s HVAC company. Later, in 1987, Randy started his own business: Metro Express Service. He has been a top 10 Trane & Amana dealer for over eight years. When it comes to heating and cooling, Randy knows the business better than anyone.
Call Us At (817) 516-0700