Of all the contaminants that put your home at risk, nothing is quite as scary as carbon monoxide. It’s tough to detect, often referred to as the “silent killer,” and has no smell, color, or taste. Carbon monoxide typically leaks out from fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces, and the built-up poison leads to hundreds of deaths each year.
At Metro Express Service, we’re committed to helping homeowners like you live safe and comfortable in your own home. To that end, we’ve compiled this carbon monoxide guide for homeowners.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a form of odorless, colorless, and toxic gas. When you breathe in this gas, it affects your blood’s ability to transport oxygen throughout the body. The result is a form of poisoning caused by asphyxiation—a lack of oxygen.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning vary by person but typically include:
- Visual Disturbances
- Heart and Respiratory Disease
- Muscle Weakness
- Muscle Cramps
The first indications of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, a headache, and nausea.
Where Does Carbon Monoxide Come From?
In the modern home, carbon monoxide gas is created by household appliances that do not undergo regular maintenance or prompt repairs. These appliances include your boiler, heating system, or gas fire. Most commonly, we see heating systems and oven ranges as the primary causes of carbon monoxide build-up.
Tips to Prevent Carbon Monoxide
It’s important to schedule regular inspections and maintenance for your home’s appliances and heating systems. Whether you have a furnace or a boiler, an experienced technician should be at your home at least once per year to assess the system. Regular maintenance is the key to preventing carbon monoxide.
For top-rated heating maintenance and service in DFW, please call 817-516-0700!