Furnace Maintenance – is a service provided by HVAC companies that involves a thorough inspection of a home’s furnace. During furnace maintenance the technician will tune-up the system and make any necessary repairs or adjustments.
Most homeowners only contact an HVAC service company when something breaks down. So, is furnace maintenance service really something you need?
Absolutely. In the long run you will save money by having your furnace maintained. Below we explain why this is true.
What Happens During Furnace Maintenance?
Furnace maintenance involves inspecting all the system’s critical components. It also involves adjusting, cleaning, lubricating, and testing as well. Below are just some of the tasks that are involved with furnace maintenance:
- Inspection of vent system
- Inspection of intake grilles
- Examining heat exchange for corrosion or damage
- Examination of the flame sensor
- Inspecting and cleaning the blower
- Inspection of blower motor and checking amp draw
- Examining the electrical connections for any loose connections or damage
- Replacing any wiring that is needed
- Inspection of the burner
- Inspection of belts for signs of cracks or damage
- Inspecting the thermostat and calibrating as needed
- Lubricating all moving parts in the furnace
- Inspection of the air filter and replacement as needed
- Inspecting the furnace safety controls
If your home is equipped with an oil or gas furnace instead of an electric one, then additional steps will be included such as:
- Inspection of the fuel lines
- Testing gas pressure, burner, and pilot light
- Inspecting the thermocouple
How Often Should I Receive Furnace Service?
Metro Express Service recommends that you have furnace maintenance at least once per year. This will assist in helping the system run more efficiently. If you are serious about maintaining your home’s furnace and indoor air quality, then have it done bi-annually.
The best time to have a furnace tune-up is right before winter sets in. When you receive a furnace tune-up you will ensure that your system is ready to produce heat throughout the cold months. What is the Benefit to Furnace Tune-ups?
Reduced Costs – Furnace maintenance will ensure that the system runs more efficiently. This means fewer monthly costs on energy bills.
Warranty – Many furnace warranties will include in the terms that regular maintenance is required. If your furnace terms states this then routine maintenance is a requirement to keep the warranty.
Extend Life – A furnace that has been professionally maintained will typically last much longer than one that is not and can keep chugging along for well over a decade a more.
Minimize Breakdowns – When a furnace is professionally maintained, minor problems can be caught and taken care of before they become much more serious issues. What this means in a nutshell is you should expect fewer system failures over the life cycle of the furnace.
How Much is Furnace Maintenance?
Furnace maintenance costs will vary depending on what type of furnace is installed in your home or business. Generally, you can get a better deal on furnace maintenance when you sign up for a maintenance plan. If you would like to learn more contact Metro Express Service today.